Some Facts about wool:
1. Wool is the only fibre that can absorb 30-40% of its weight in moisture. Even once it has absorbed all this moisture, it won't feel wet or clammy because the wool allows the moisture to evaporate into the air.
2. Wool is an amazing insulator and regulates body temperature. It can be used all year long, in any temperature. When it is hot, wool will keep babies cool, and will keep the heat out. When it is cold in the winter, wool will keep the body warm and cozy.
3. It is breathable, allowing air to circulate and skin to breath. This helps to decrease diaper rash, but also alleviates health concerns about trapped heat within the diaper (which can cause sterility in boys).
4. Wool contains natural lanolin, which acts as a natural waterproof barrier.
5. Wool is stretchy and very comfortable for baby. It will move with your baby...no more red marks around baby's chubby legs.
6. Wool is naturally antibacterial and dirt repellent. It does not have to be washed as often as synthetic covers. Unless is gets soiled, all you have to do is air it out between diaper changes. Even though it gets soaked with urine, once the wool is dry, it will smell like wool! The lanolin reacts with urine to clean itself! Isn't that neat?
No other fibre or material has all these properties! It really is an amazing gift from nature :)
A Note on Allergies to Wool:
According to Rosemary Block, people are not necessarily allergic to the wool fibre, but more likely the processing or the type of wool.